half an update for half a bed
So this is (hopefully) just a quick note to say I've moved into our new place. It's going to mean an hour(ish) commute to work, but that's doable. The room is still sort of half done - we only saw the place yesterday, decided on it and they said they'd furnish me an extra room for today. The bed and chest of drawers are getting delivered on Thursday. I'm sleeping on a mattress on the floor. It's interesting, but not uncomfortable. Plus I've finally emptied my suitcase - as much as you can do without a chest of drawers anyway. It's a relief, but I still don't totally feel settled. Give it a week or two I guess.
So I had my first day at school today. I literally met a few people, sat in one class, helped them play bingo, and left. If only every day was like that. There was a bit of confusion as to went I need to actually start working - officially Friday, but whilst one teacher said I should go and sit in classes this week, the others were like pff naaa, go enjoy yourself, go get some prep done. So after consulting with my responsable - I've gone with not going in until Friday. Let's be honest, why would you pick anything else, given the option.
So tomorrow Alice and I are hitting the 'mall', to get some groceries, a Canadian mobile phone and also set up a bank account. Which hopefully will go well, because I kinda wanna get paid.
We also discovered the most adorable street just along from where we're living - Starbucks, Subway, sushi shops, some nice cafes and restaurants, supermarket, convenience store and the most beautiful little fruit shop that hopefully will mean I eat plenty of fruit. And also empty my bank account - when I get one.
I'm going to have to send some serious emails in order to really find out what the hell I'm doing in terms of school, but I'm sure that will be fine. I'm kinda getting into the idea that things will all work out - I don't know if this is a Canadian thing, a Quebec thing, a North American thing or if it's just me finally embracing que sera sera. This does stop me feeling less calm about big situations, but does nothing to stop me stressing about the lack of modern Doctor Who on Canadian Netflix.
I don't really have much else to say in this update. I wish these blogs were a little bit more light-hearted, but because we haven't settled properly yet, there's nothing really that light-hearted happening.
I guess the most awkward moment so far was when we were at the mall with the Canadian assistants, and Kelly and Jack decided to do a spin and knocked a woman over. To be fair it wasn't even during the spin, they'd finished doing a spin and as Jack stepped back out of the spin, the woman stepped onto his foot and literally went boom on the floor. Apologies galore (come on, they are Canadian, what else would it be?!), the woman was fine, but didn't accept their apologies and looked ridiculous angry. I was the obscenely awkward Brit who stood there, a few steps ahead, incapable of turning around. It was an accident, but I'm so bad in situations like that.
Also, whilst unpacking I've realised how many shoes I brought. I'm not sure why I brought so many. I'm not even a girly girl - I haven't brought eight pairs of pink sandals. I've brought like three pairs of trainers, some toms, some uggs and one single pair of heels - that even now, I'm thinking I probably won't get round to wearing.
Not sure why I went off on a shoe tangent, probably because it's 20 to 12 and I'm tired after getting up at like 7.20 this morning. Probably means it's time to shut upppppp and retire with Netflix to my mattress on the floor. Don't worry though, I have cushions and a duvet. People keep saying it's like Japanese living - I'm not sure how accurate this is, but if it's true, then if they can do it, I can too. ttfn x
So I had my first day at school today. I literally met a few people, sat in one class, helped them play bingo, and left. If only every day was like that. There was a bit of confusion as to went I need to actually start working - officially Friday, but whilst one teacher said I should go and sit in classes this week, the others were like pff naaa, go enjoy yourself, go get some prep done. So after consulting with my responsable - I've gone with not going in until Friday. Let's be honest, why would you pick anything else, given the option.
So tomorrow Alice and I are hitting the 'mall', to get some groceries, a Canadian mobile phone and also set up a bank account. Which hopefully will go well, because I kinda wanna get paid.
We also discovered the most adorable street just along from where we're living - Starbucks, Subway, sushi shops, some nice cafes and restaurants, supermarket, convenience store and the most beautiful little fruit shop that hopefully will mean I eat plenty of fruit. And also empty my bank account - when I get one.
I'm going to have to send some serious emails in order to really find out what the hell I'm doing in terms of school, but I'm sure that will be fine. I'm kinda getting into the idea that things will all work out - I don't know if this is a Canadian thing, a Quebec thing, a North American thing or if it's just me finally embracing que sera sera. This does stop me feeling less calm about big situations, but does nothing to stop me stressing about the lack of modern Doctor Who on Canadian Netflix.
I don't really have much else to say in this update. I wish these blogs were a little bit more light-hearted, but because we haven't settled properly yet, there's nothing really that light-hearted happening.
I guess the most awkward moment so far was when we were at the mall with the Canadian assistants, and Kelly and Jack decided to do a spin and knocked a woman over. To be fair it wasn't even during the spin, they'd finished doing a spin and as Jack stepped back out of the spin, the woman stepped onto his foot and literally went boom on the floor. Apologies galore (come on, they are Canadian, what else would it be?!), the woman was fine, but didn't accept their apologies and looked ridiculous angry. I was the obscenely awkward Brit who stood there, a few steps ahead, incapable of turning around. It was an accident, but I'm so bad in situations like that.
Also, whilst unpacking I've realised how many shoes I brought. I'm not sure why I brought so many. I'm not even a girly girl - I haven't brought eight pairs of pink sandals. I've brought like three pairs of trainers, some toms, some uggs and one single pair of heels - that even now, I'm thinking I probably won't get round to wearing.
Not sure why I went off on a shoe tangent, probably because it's 20 to 12 and I'm tired after getting up at like 7.20 this morning. Probably means it's time to shut upppppp and retire with Netflix to my mattress on the floor. Don't worry though, I have cushions and a duvet. People keep saying it's like Japanese living - I'm not sure how accurate this is, but if it's true, then if they can do it, I can too. ttfn x
Comments
Post a Comment