first day review
So, as promised, here is the great round up of my first real day teaching.
There isn't that much to say. As the class had presentations to do, I only ended up with 10-15 minutes with each group, so I just got them talking about their city, places I should go, any questions they had about England and Britain. It was fine, some kids needed more pushing than others.
A couple of really nice kids talked to me on the way to school too, giving me a bit of confidence - before telling me that I looked like a student. Mate I know. They were really nice though, and it was good to know that the students knew who I was and actually cared. Plus, they spoke in English which was such a relief.
But anyway, after that class, it was the weekend! So predictably, I got home and climbed into bed and watched TV all day. Professor Brian Cox is totally saving my life with Science Britannica. It's weird to be that interested in a subject I haven't taken since Year 11, but Brian Cox is probably the coolest guy ever (ask anyone - that's a fact). I managed to drag myself out of bed on Friday evening for sushi night - something Alice & I are hoping to make a habit of. There's this awesome street just round the corner from our house, with loads of great restaurants and shops (& Starbucks), so we hit the sushi shop, and sat outside to eat it. It was really warm - like not even just warm for Canada, like you don't need to wear a jacket style warm. It was so relaxing - definitely needed after a week of early mornings.
Saturday morning and I had to drag myself out of bed because we'd promised to go this shopping mall across town that has a roller coaster and ice rink inside. I had high hopes of Metroland style fun - but the roller coaster was slow. The ice rink was pretty cool though, but I'm not really game to ice skate in the country that practically lives for ice. I'm not really up for showing myself up with a very graceful (not) fall. Anyway, the mall was no where near as good as the stuff we have nearer our home - plus it was another two bus, Walmart-style trek, so probably won't be heading back. We did find Dollarama - which is like Poundland/Poundstretcher over here. We'd heard so much about it, it was one of those places we apparently HAD to visit. Fair do's, it was pretty good, and there was an obscene amount of Hallowe'en crap which no doubt will come in handy when everyone heads down to Quebec City for our Hallowe'en meeting.
Anyway, Saturday night ended up with me watching not only Avengers Assemble, but also The Decoy Bride, which I watched solely because David Tennant was in it. It was pretty rubbish, but very easy watching. I was a bit delirious too so I found it far funnier and wittier than it actually was. yes, I'd probably watch it again.
-----
I got up to this point in my blog at around half past two this afternoon. I'd only left bed for two things that day - Frosties and Heinz Spaghetti (yes they sell that here too). The sun was blaring through my window almost as if it was trying to remind me that in just weeks time, it's going to be so cold I'm likely to forgot what it's like to wear shorts. So, iPod in hand, I set off on a walk. I imagined I'd be gone for under an hour, just a wander down to the river and back, so I didn't even shut my computer down. Over two hours later I trudged home. My little walk had turned into a bit of a trek. I'd found this really beautiful cemetery - I know that sounds weird, but I really like cemeteries. Not in a morbid, gothic, "my life is spiralling downwards" kind of way, but just because they're really quiet and respectful places, and often quite beautiful. This one was absolutely lovely, it was really autumnal and there were squirrels jumping all over the place - I spotted a red one too! I spotted a grave from someone who came from South Durham, which felt like a link to home almost :). There was an old man sat there in his motorised wheelchair with a book, just looking out over the St Lawrence which sits at the bottom of the graveyard. I eventually managed to get down through the graveyard - the paths all seemed to go in circles and I have this weird habit of not wanting to stray off the path in cemeteries. I found my way to the river, which, on such a warm day, was gorgeous. There were thousands of boats on the river - everyone seems to own a boat! I sat myself on the rocks next to the river and just sat for a while, taking everything in - and having a rest, because it was all uphill on the way back. Anyway, after I left the cemetery on the way down, I had the genius idea of starting my pedometer on my iPod. I did just short of 8000 steps, not including the first half hour before I turned the pedometer on, which I think is a pretty decent effort.
I'm really glad I went on my walk, it made me feel far more productive than watching endless episodes of How I Met Your Mother - which is also a good use of time, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't be all I aim to do in life. I'm all prepared for a night with crisps & tzatzki and most importantly, Downton Abbey. I do have two classes to plan for tomorrow, and I'm not particularly excited about going back to work, but it's a pretty light week this week, and I have Friday off, which will be blissful. Also, I am no longer the only one living upstairs - after being woken up a couple of times this week at ridiculous o'clock in the morning by the French students we're living with, Alice has decided to emigrate to the great land of the ground floor. She's moving up in the world - quite literally, though she has concerns at the moment about the lack of drawers in her desk. I'll keep you updated with the situation. Laters.
There isn't that much to say. As the class had presentations to do, I only ended up with 10-15 minutes with each group, so I just got them talking about their city, places I should go, any questions they had about England and Britain. It was fine, some kids needed more pushing than others.
A couple of really nice kids talked to me on the way to school too, giving me a bit of confidence - before telling me that I looked like a student. Mate I know. They were really nice though, and it was good to know that the students knew who I was and actually cared. Plus, they spoke in English which was such a relief.
But anyway, after that class, it was the weekend! So predictably, I got home and climbed into bed and watched TV all day. Professor Brian Cox is totally saving my life with Science Britannica. It's weird to be that interested in a subject I haven't taken since Year 11, but Brian Cox is probably the coolest guy ever (ask anyone - that's a fact). I managed to drag myself out of bed on Friday evening for sushi night - something Alice & I are hoping to make a habit of. There's this awesome street just round the corner from our house, with loads of great restaurants and shops (& Starbucks), so we hit the sushi shop, and sat outside to eat it. It was really warm - like not even just warm for Canada, like you don't need to wear a jacket style warm. It was so relaxing - definitely needed after a week of early mornings.
Saturday morning and I had to drag myself out of bed because we'd promised to go this shopping mall across town that has a roller coaster and ice rink inside. I had high hopes of Metroland style fun - but the roller coaster was slow. The ice rink was pretty cool though, but I'm not really game to ice skate in the country that practically lives for ice. I'm not really up for showing myself up with a very graceful (not) fall. Anyway, the mall was no where near as good as the stuff we have nearer our home - plus it was another two bus, Walmart-style trek, so probably won't be heading back. We did find Dollarama - which is like Poundland/Poundstretcher over here. We'd heard so much about it, it was one of those places we apparently HAD to visit. Fair do's, it was pretty good, and there was an obscene amount of Hallowe'en crap which no doubt will come in handy when everyone heads down to Quebec City for our Hallowe'en meeting.
Anyway, Saturday night ended up with me watching not only Avengers Assemble, but also The Decoy Bride, which I watched solely because David Tennant was in it. It was pretty rubbish, but very easy watching. I was a bit delirious too so I found it far funnier and wittier than it actually was. yes, I'd probably watch it again.
-----
I got up to this point in my blog at around half past two this afternoon. I'd only left bed for two things that day - Frosties and Heinz Spaghetti (yes they sell that here too). The sun was blaring through my window almost as if it was trying to remind me that in just weeks time, it's going to be so cold I'm likely to forgot what it's like to wear shorts. So, iPod in hand, I set off on a walk. I imagined I'd be gone for under an hour, just a wander down to the river and back, so I didn't even shut my computer down. Over two hours later I trudged home. My little walk had turned into a bit of a trek. I'd found this really beautiful cemetery - I know that sounds weird, but I really like cemeteries. Not in a morbid, gothic, "my life is spiralling downwards" kind of way, but just because they're really quiet and respectful places, and often quite beautiful. This one was absolutely lovely, it was really autumnal and there were squirrels jumping all over the place - I spotted a red one too! I spotted a grave from someone who came from South Durham, which felt like a link to home almost :). There was an old man sat there in his motorised wheelchair with a book, just looking out over the St Lawrence which sits at the bottom of the graveyard. I eventually managed to get down through the graveyard - the paths all seemed to go in circles and I have this weird habit of not wanting to stray off the path in cemeteries. I found my way to the river, which, on such a warm day, was gorgeous. There were thousands of boats on the river - everyone seems to own a boat! I sat myself on the rocks next to the river and just sat for a while, taking everything in - and having a rest, because it was all uphill on the way back. Anyway, after I left the cemetery on the way down, I had the genius idea of starting my pedometer on my iPod. I did just short of 8000 steps, not including the first half hour before I turned the pedometer on, which I think is a pretty decent effort.
Views.
Some more views.
Nice memorial next to the church in Sillery, looking out over St Lawrence River.
I dared myself to sit on the edge, you can see my shadow on the left of this.
Just above the sun in the photo below. Yep. That's me.
#lush
I love flags me.
I don't see how this park can have an opening time, because it's not closed off.
Rant over.
Cemetery.
War graves.
I don't care, it's a really beautiful cemetery.
I'm really glad I went on my walk, it made me feel far more productive than watching endless episodes of How I Met Your Mother - which is also a good use of time, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't be all I aim to do in life. I'm all prepared for a night with crisps & tzatzki and most importantly, Downton Abbey. I do have two classes to plan for tomorrow, and I'm not particularly excited about going back to work, but it's a pretty light week this week, and I have Friday off, which will be blissful. Also, I am no longer the only one living upstairs - after being woken up a couple of times this week at ridiculous o'clock in the morning by the French students we're living with, Alice has decided to emigrate to the great land of the ground floor. She's moving up in the world - quite literally, though she has concerns at the moment about the lack of drawers in her desk. I'll keep you updated with the situation. Laters.
These pictures look absolutely gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteaw thanks! it's so easy to enjoy it in the sun, not sure i'll be saying the same when the snow comes!
ReplyDelete