hello again.

So there is simply no other way to put it - I have neglected blogging recently, and feel the need to post something (on my mother's suggestion) just to ensure people know that my lack of writing does not mean that I've been hugging myself in a corner of some dark room, quite the opposite in fact.



In Canada, blogging became a sort of therapy - by recording the many adventures of Hannah and Alice, I could remind myself that the experience was actually worthwhile. In Germany, however, I very quickly discovered a very different therapy.

The people I have met here have been an absolute godsend, and they could not have come at a better time. I came to Germany a bit of a wreck, counting the days down until I could go back to England and just live normally. I'd planned to go home for my 21st, to give myself a break from being away and to see my friends and family at home.

All that changed very quickly, and needless to say I didn't end up going home for my birthday. Germany has well and truly won me over. Having been force fed countless stories of just how good year abroad would be/will be/is, I feel like I'm genuinely living my own story right now.

So now that I'm done with all that general crap, what the hell have I been doing for the past two months? Good question, really. The last two months have been littered with all the best aspects of a year abroad: new people, travelling and copious amounts of beer. I shan't bore you with tales of everything that we've done, but a few photos and highlights surely will suffice (God, that sentence sounds like I've just fallen out of some exclusive private school... fear not, I am as Geordie as ever, even if Chris will tell you that I speak like an American...):

Frühlingsfest
...what a damn good weekend. Having never been bothered about the whole beer fest experience, I made a very last gasp decision on the Friday to rent a dirndl (traditional Bavarian dress). Best decision I've ever made - dirndls are possibly the greatest invention EVER. Saturday was our first venture to Frühlingsfest, and it was hellish funny, inc. falling off tables and having strange encounters with Stuttgart fans in the vicinity. When I eventually got home on the Saturday night, I'd already made the decision to go back the next day, when I went with my flatmate Christian, and his friends, before Chris and Adam eventually dragged their arses out of bed to join us. I feel Frühlingsfest has kicked off what is bound to be a lifelong passion for German festivals (and dirndls). 





Munich
Travelled to Munich with my flatmates Christian and Annie, and stayed with Christian's friend Johannes in good ol' G-Town. Our time seems to just have involved tasting kinds of beer and a severe lack of sleep, but it was such a good laugh. Personal highlights include being taught the Discofox by the most Bavarian looking guy I've ever seen #lederhosen, wandering around on the ONE sunny day in a dirndl and people just thinking it was totally fine (God bless Bavaria), buying my very own dirndl which I then travelled home to Tubs in, and of course the legend of the toilet brush. Oh Munich, I miss you already... 


Car selfie



Discofox lessons

The final day, the one sunny day. Beautiful day in Andechs.

My 21st
People always make such a big deal out of 21st birthdays, and God knows I really wasn't arsed about celebrating mine. This year has been such a bloody rollercoaster, I didn't really want to mark it with a big party. However, once I'd decided I was staying in the country, I decided celebrating it was a really good idea. Spending my birthday with people from all over the world that I've been fortunate enough to meet this year, I don't think I could have topped it if I tried. A certain Eleanor made her way up from Freiburg too, which was spectacular. My presents included white chocolate and a German party CD, which sums me up far too well and too easily. 



Rebs' Visit
Whilst I can say quite categorically that I am not a bit homesick (I know, I'm surprised too), it's still the best thing ever to talk to my best friends at home. It was so beautiful to have Rebs visit, and it reminded me how big a part of my life my friends at home still continue to play. I may not miss home, but I miss you all and love you all. Well, most of you. Even Kevin sometimes :)

Walking in Bad Urach

Literally, the height difference...

Pretending we're not absolutely dying after that walk...

Yes, Rebs really did try this!



I think that's a fairly decent catch up for you all for now. Hopefully I will remember to write something before too long... but it is World Cup season so I make no promises.

And just to clarify, I am most definitely cheering on Germany for the WM2014. 



Oh Schweini, you darling. 
Los geht's Deutschland<3 






Comments